Return to A Brief Introduction to Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens

This memorial was build alongside the Admiralty Building on Horseguards Parade and was unveiled by the Division’s commander on Gallipoli Day (25 April) 1925, the tenth anniversary of the Gallipoli landings. The Division took part in Gallipoli and that campaign, along with others, are inscribed on the monument.

Winston Churchill was present. He had founded the Division when it was realised that the Navy had a surplus of enlisted men and not enough ships. It was known as ‘Winston’s Little Army’ and the Division was an anomaly run by the Admiralty – men were allowed to grow beards and the battalions had the names of ships such as Drake and Hood. It eventually came under Army control.

When war loomed in 1939, the memorial was dismantled and put in storage to avoid damage during the construction of the Admiralty’s bomb-proof building, the Citadel. In 1951 it was re-erected at the Royal Naval College in Greenwich but, when the college closed in 1998, the memorial was returned to its original Horseguards site and was re-dedicated by the Prince of Wales on 13 November 2003. This was a significant date, commemorating a successful attack by the Division during the Battle of the Somme in 1916.

The best-known member of the Division was the poet, Rupert Brooke, who died en route to Gallipoli. Part of his poem, ‘The Dead’, is inscribed on a central panel.

Photo courtesy of Tim Skelton

Royal Naval Division War Memorial, Horseguards Parade, London. Upgraded to Grade II*

Dimensions:
2448 × 3264
File size:
3 MB
Taken:
3 November 2006

Aperture

3.5

Camera

Canon PowerShot S80

Focal Length

5.8mm

Shutter Speed

1/1250