County of Kent Canterbury, copyright Historic England ref DP187998
County of Kent War Memorial, Canterbury. Unveiled 4 August 1921. Newly listed at Grade II*. The 6 metre tall cross forms a striking focus at the centre of the Memorial Garden, with Canterbury Cathedral to the west and the historic garden walls and ancient city walls to the east. A number of Baker’s recurrent symbols decorate the memorial - carved stone roses and lilies, representing England and France, forming a circlet round the cross; a reversed sword is carved on the shaft, along with a Crusader warship with billowing sails. The principal inscription reads: TO THE SACRED MEMORY OF THE SONS AND DAUGHTERS OF KENT WHO DIED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919. Baker was a proud Kentish man.