Return to The War Memorials of Herbert Baker

Blackmoor War Memorial Cloister, Hampshire. Unveiled in 1920. Upgraded to Grade II*. This memorial was commissioned by Lord and Lady Selborne in memory of their second son, Captain Robert Palmer, killed in Mesopotamia, January 1916. The vernacular design draws on the Arts & Crafts tradition; its simple timber framing reminiscent of an ancient agricultural building. It takes the form of a three-sided cloister, enclosing a garden with a memorial stone cross as a focus. Commemorative bronze plaques are fixed to the Cloister’s interior wall, remembering both Captain Palmer and the dead of the village in both world wars. A memorial fountain sits in a niche, flanked on one side by a War plaque, showing a leafless tree above, and on the other a Peace plaque with a tree in full leaf with blossoms. The fountain was intended to be a water supply for the next door school’s children who would: ‘…provide animation and lively activity, uniting the dead and the living future of the village.’

Blackmoor, copyright Historic England ref DP189215

Dimensions:
1200 × 801
File size:
564 KB
Credit:
Copyright Historic England Archi
Copyright:
© Historic England Archive
Taken:
26 April 2017

Aperture

16

Camera

NIKON D800

Focal Length

24mm

Shutter Speed

1/200

ISO

250