Return to A Brief Introduction to Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens

Sited high on The Cliffs overlooking the Thames Estuary Lutyens’ original design was a cenotaph surmounted by an urn, but this was changed to a simple 11 metre high obelisk with a painted stone Union Flag and a White Ensign, one of six obelisks he designed. It was unveiled 27 November 1921 in front of a large crowd with D Company 6th Essex Regiment forming a guard of honour. A memorial tablet bearing the names of the 1,338 who died was erected at Prittlewell Priory (now part of Southend Museums).

Lutyens also designed the garden in front of the memorial. White stone chippings spelling out ‘LEST WE FORGET’ have been added on the lawn at a later date.

Photo courtesy of Tim Skelton

Southend-on-Sea War Memorial, Southend-on-Sea, Essex. Upgraded to Grade II*

Dimensions:
1600 × 1200
File size:
220 KB
Taken:
7 October 2005

Aperture

7.1

Camera

Canon DIGITAL IXUS 430

Focal Length

7.40625mm

Shutter Speed

1/320