Return to A Brief Introduction to Architect Sir Edwin Lutyens

The Royal Berkshire Regiment decided from the outset that their memorial, sited outside the regimental barracks, should be a copy of the Cenotaph, abeit reduced in size. Lutyens agreed and made minor changes such as adding an urn on top and painted stone flags on either side. He had designed stone flags for the original Cenotaph, but they had been rejected. This cenotaph is the only one in England that bore them. It was unveiled by the Regiment’s colonel on 13 September 1921 when a roll of honour carrying the names of the dead was placed within the memorial.

Photo courtesy of Tim Skelton

Royal Berkshire Regiment War Memorial, Brock Barracks, Reading, Berkshire. Upgraded to Grade II*

3535 × 5377
File size:
5 MB