One of 15 War Crosses designed by Lutyens, this memorial stands in a wild and beautiful location on The Heugh overlooking Lindesfarne Castle – which Lutyens renovated – with the ruins of Lindesfarne Priory to the south and the Farne Islands in the distance to the east. Lutyens, who waived his fee, chose Doddington stone to be in harmony with the stone of the castle. The memorial was unveiled on 4 June 1922.
Hurricane force winds in the winter of 1983-84 damaged the shaft of the cross. The top of the memorial was then replaced.
Photo courtesy of Tim Skelton
Holy Island War Memorial, Northumberland. Upgraded to Grade II*