Gerrards Cross War Memorial Hall, East Common, Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire. New listing at Grade II
Lutyens only memorial building with a community purpose.
Lutyens adapted the stables and North Lodge alongside an 18th-century vicarage (now the listed Gerrards Cross Memorial Centre) to create this painted brick memorial hall.
This Hall is Lutyens' only community building. He had been offered the commission by the local vicar who wanted a memorial that would serve the needs of ex-servicemen and the wider community.
The portico contains a tall stone memorial plaque inscribed with 20 names from the First World War. Another 35 were added after the Second World War.
Opened on 14 October 1922, it had a billiards room, club room and a kitchen, plus adjacent tennis courts. The Hall remains in active use and is the HQ of the local British Legion.
Photo courtesy of Tim Skelton