Civil Service Rifles War Memorial, Somerset House, London. Upgraded to Grade II*
The Regiment was raised from the ranks of the civil service. Very much a one-off design, the classic urn contains a scroll with the names of the regiment’s 1,240 dead. The stone base is inscribed with battles they fought and the painted flags were copper, now stone. The memorial was unveiled on 27 January 1924 by HRH The Prince of Wales, the Regiment’s honorary colonel.
For many years the memorial stood in the centre of the courtyard of Somerset House on the Strand. This was a significant location as the courtyard had acted as a parade and drill ground for the Regiment. However it was relocated to the riverside terrace overlooking the Thames when the courtyard was renovated in 2002 to make way for the installation of fountains and a Christmas ice-rink. It was re-dedicated on 25 July that year.
Photo courtesy of Tim Skelton